August 12, 2008

Ah! Rainy Days…

As a kid, a teenager and a lady, I really liked rain and the pleasant feeling of getting wet in the pure and chill drops of water from above the sky.

I have always looked forward for the rains on summer afternoons and the dry seasons of life as well. Many a times, when I had been in school and college, I have knowingly forgotten the umbrella (an invention of man) at home so that I can get wet in rain on my return to home.

The last few days in Hyderabad, have been pouring mercilessly and the streets and lanes full of water. There have been incidents of death due to the relentless rain non-stop on certain days. This weekend it rained on the whole of Saturday and was confined to indoors.

I was looking eagerly towards this weekend that went by, as I had planned to visit the movies after quite some time, now. I had booked my tickets by late Thursday afternoon, for a show on Saturday Evening. Never had this leisure of booking tickets well in advance, thanks to the advent of Internet, though it is not a novice concept now, it is almost requisites of life.

I always try booking for tickets through the net, most of the time, I find people are more active than me or jobless than me or whatever, I used to never get tickets or the tickets that were available would be some lost corners of the screen or the front rows of the screen from where you a larger picture of the movie, which takes away the glamour of watching a movie. In spite of the discomfort in the front rows, I don’t know why the theatres are still having front rows next to the screen??!!

Now, that’s a debatable topic of its own, let it rest in peace for some time, coming back to whatever I was trying to say, or did I?

Hmm…so, I was terribly lucky this time to get a ticket for me and my husband at the back rows of the theatre. I was looking forward to it, when the unexpected rains took a toll of it. It somehow wanted to ask me I guess, why and how can you get lucky, eh? When I am here?
That’s it; I was returning home on Friday evening, I take the office bus to my home. It is a journey of some distance approximately about one and half hour, and that too at the mercy of the traffic. It had started drizzling from the office itself and when I was in the bus the rain had started pouring hard. I did not think much about the rain at that point, but when I got to the roads on my way back, the long line of vehicles at the junctions and the traffic congestion, reminded me of the impact of rain.

It took more than the usual time for me to reach my destination and by the time I reached home, it started to pour heavily and slash the city. I got worried about my husband’s return from office as his pathway had lots of undulations and they must be filling in with water from the rain. There was no electricity at home, and the silhouettes of the candle light with the combination of the sounds of rain and wind were creating eerie images in my mind and my imagination was running wild. I dialed my husband several times to his hand phone and was expecting him to return soon.

All this so far so good, but real problem started when the next day dawned, it being a Saturday, got up a bit later than usual and was waiting for the relentless rain to stop, but it did not and it so happened that the whole day it rained and rained.

Had a simple and good lunch prepared at home and waited for the rain to stop so that I could go and watch the movie as planned. But, the rain did not seem to stop. We were thinking of all possibilities to reach the movies. We were also debating of the choice of time that we chose to see a movie. In between, the wait from 2.30 pm to 3.00 pm, is when we decided to leave for the 5 o’clock show, as it was raining did not want to take the risk of missing or getting caught in the rain or traffic. Then is when my husband’s hand phone rang, it was from the theatres and we had given his hand phone number while registration.

The authority had called us to inform that they have cancelled the particular show and the money drawn against the tickets would eventually be credited to the bank account or credit card used during the reservations. Thank god, one solace, that we would get back the money spent without enjoying it.
At the same instant, I hated the rain like never before and hated the chilly feeling of water everywhere. Never had I hated the rain, as I had hated it that instant with all my life. The floor wet and chill from the constant downpour, the water from the taps chill and not fit enough to hold in your hand for more than a second, the wet clothes dispersed in the rooms, sofas and hangers to dry under the currents of wind from the ceiling fan.

Ugh….what a day! Had to spend the rest of the evening browsing on the net or watching the stupid programs on the television and by the time it was dinner time, had prepared some dinner and was so drowsy with nothing to do the whole day, dozed off in the comfort of the mattress, hoping that at least by the morning the sun will be up to greet us with its warmth and let me out to play in the sun.

For once, I really did sing, Rain, Rain, Come another day, little Kavitha wants to play….:-).

No comments: