August 23, 2008

Nenjukkul Poo Manjangal - A song in a Tamil movie

Well, as said before songs have become an inseparable part of my BUSY life.

I am hooked to this song since yesterday night. I wasn't a regular Orkuter, but got recently used to it. One of the forums or community, I am a regular visitor or scarper, is the Community of Illayaraja.

Guys, there (community) are really doing some service to the Music Composer, who has now rocked the Tamil Film Industry with his music for more than 2 decades now. He still rocks, no doubt.

I believe this person 'Illayaraja' might not have any clue or an iota of what heated and wonderful discussions that take place, there. A layman or not each one there has a description to the music, he hears by, adores, can't in dispense, whatever his feeling is expressed there. What a service!!!

Enough of the intro, let me continue with what I wanted to say, there is a thread which is like a sort of game, it has translation of a Tamil song in English, you got to find the song and the movie it pictured.

The only clinch here is it should be from a film, musically directed by Illayaraja, now, you think that is easy ...no. The years of music are from 1976-2008. The years are many and the songs too, for a Tamil movie have an average of 5 songs per film. It is voluminous and the translations can range to simple English translation to very much complicated translation.

I am also a part of this translation query and enjoy it. Sometimes cracking a song before any one of the member in the community does is real challenge, although there are 51,000 thousand people to it, only about 7-8% of people active in this thread. Though competition is less, but someone out smarts you whenever they feel like.

Like this there has been a question that was unanswered for a couple of weeks now, I was also trying to decipher that, in vain. Sometimes, my mind works in a flash and sometimes, it takes its ages.

Trying to break the code, I was waiting and spending time, I tried cracking it with the help of GOOGLE. Yes, you might wonder how GOOGLE, no way. Google, in fact gives you lyrics of any song you want, you just give a word in a line, it traces you the line with the song. Of course, I don’t have to tell you about the ability of the Search Engine, one of its kinds, right??!!

I wasn’t able to crack, I tried getting in touch with my friend in orkut, who also happens to be a member and sometime back we had tough competition between us to crack the code and clues. So, we tried to make a combination to crack the code, by supplying details and snippets, all through net.

Well, what to say, he cracked the code, before I could. I was almost there, he broke it. Ok, I let it be there.

I wanted to know which song it is, and when I heard it, I just could not get the music out of my mind, as I write some part of my brain is still singing the song in pieces and I am enjoying it.

Ahem! I know a roundabout way of saying the title is the first line of the song, that was cracked and that is the song about my blog here. I know, you would want to shove me off, but haven't I made you read till here, so read further.....

The song has some good folk feel to it. It is at the same time racy and has some English words to it, unlike today where words in a song in the mother tongue is less than the foreign language or the national language, with heavy drums and blaring noises. The English words gel with the song and make it more likeable.

The song in description is a nice melody, separated by the era itself. It was featured in 1983 movie, which starred Siva Kumar, the ever charming, Markandaiyen of the Tamil Cinema and the Big Eyed Sarita, K.Balachander heroine, whose eyes speaks volumes to emotions if the portrayal she donned.

The song is a duet and has the hero and heroine expressing their love for each other. It says –
Nenjukkul Poo Manjangal Nee Itta Neram
Kannil Ittene Kadhal Kattalai
Kannam Yenge Yengegum Asai Muthirai
Nee Hero.........Oh...Hero.

Simply translating, “Before, you could get into my heart to give me a flower donned stage; I did the honors by my eyes. There are stamps of love on my cheek; you are my hero, hero.”

Listen, to it my folks......fall in love, enjoy life.

1 comment:

Sarawanan said...

This song's from Saattai Illaatha Pambaram by our maestro Illaiyaraaja